Academic Summer Camps
Looking for a great camp for your gifted child to attend this summer? There are many camps in and around Tennessee that offer academic and artistic acceleration and enrichment. TAG has put together a partial listing of these programs for your convenience.
Note: a listing on this page does not imply an endorsement of the program or camp by the Tennessee Association for the Gifted.
Summer Academy at Vanderbilt for the Young (SAVY) 2017 Application Window Opens Tuesday, January 10!
Are you looking for a summer opportunity for an advanced learner in your life?
Summer Academy at Vanderbilt for the Young (SAVY), a program through Vanderbilt Programs for Talented Youth, offers weekly summer courses (Monday through Friday, 9AM to 3:45PM) in Vanderbilt University’s campus for gifted students in rising 1st through 7th grades.
Six different one-week session options are available throughout the summer. Students sign up for one SAVY class per session and can enroll in multiple sessions. From computational astrophysics to robotic programming to economics to law school 101, SAVY is bound to have a class that fits your gifted child’s interests!
The Summer SAVY 2017 Application Priority Window is Tuesday, January 10 at noon to Wednesday, January 11 at noon. PTY strongly recommends applying during this 24-hour window. To learn about eligibility and the application process, visithttps://pty.vanderbilt.edu/students/savy/admissions.
Interested in learning more about all student programs offered by Programs for Talented Youth?
To see all course options for SAVY, or to learn more about Vanderbilt Summer Academy (VSA), a summer residential program for students in grades 8-12, visit the Programs for Talented Youth website at http://pty.vanderbilt.edu.
- Tennessee’s Governor’s Schools provide rigorous summer programs for gifted and talented high school juniors and seniors in 12 different academic areas. More information can be found here.
- UT Knoxville offers many more summer camps through its Kids U program. For a full list of camps and applications, click here.
- UT Chattanooga’s Challenger Center offers Space Camp for children aged 4 through rising 8th grade.
- Chattanooga’s Bright School offers its Bright Summer Funstitute for youth from preschool to 5th grade. Activities include science, technology, culinary skills, and language immersion.
- The Creative Discovery Museum in Chattanooga offers a wealth of summer and spring break camp opportunities for curious students ages Pre-K through 5th grade!
- In addition to these, Chattanooga offers many other academic and arts summer camp opportunities! See this document for more information (PDF).
- Programs for Talented Youth at Vanderbilt offers summer academic programs for gifted students from rising first graders through seniors in high school.
- Cheekwood Summer Camps: Cheekwood Botanical Gardens in Nashville offers a variety of art- and gardening-focused day camps for students aged 2-16.
- Nashville’s Adventure Science center hosts Science Quest, a series of summer day camps for students in grades K-9. Topics include robotics, chemistry, and engineering.
- iD Tech Camps holds summer day and overnight computer programming and video game design camps at Vanderbilt University for children aged 7-17.
- PAVE is a six-week pre-college program for rising high school seniors hosted by Vanderbilt University. It is designed to provide enriching experience for students intending to study engineering, pre-medicine, science, or technology in college.
- Students in grades 4-12 can attend Space Camp at the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama!
- SEMO in Cape Girardeau, Missouri offers Horizons, a summer enrichment program with many possible areas of focus for students ages 5-14.
- Gifted Atlanta has a comprehensive list of gifted programs in and around the Atlanta area on its website.
- The Center for Gifted Studies at Western Kentucky University offers two summer options for gifted students: SCATS, June 10-22, and VAMPY, June 24-July 14.
- Purdue University--GERI (Gifted Education Resource Institute)--has been providing gifted programs for 40 years. They include academic programs for teachers as well as youth program such as Super Saturday, Super Summer and Summer Residential.
- SIG (Summer Institute for the Gifted)--is offering 12 residential camp program scholarships for this summer to students who reside in Tennessee and are in need of assistance. Sacha and SIG are providing this amazing opportunity for qualified area students to experience a 3-week academic enrichment summer camp. SIG programs combine academics with social, cultural, and recreational opportunities for a truly engaging summer. To apply, please submit the SIG program application and financial assistance form. Students must be ages 9-17 and meet SIG's academic eligibility requirements.
- Children's Enrichment Program at SENG's 33rd Annual Conference - GIFTED: Our Past and Our Future, July 22-24, 2016 in Colonial Williamsburg, VA.
If you know of other camps that should be included, let us know!